About the Project
A roofing products manufacturer was overhauling its packaging operations to boost throughput and efficiency via the implementation of conveyance, automation equipment, and a robot cell. Several manual processes to wind and package roofing materials were replaced with a fully automated line that inserts tubing, shrink wraps, and palletizes product. Over 30 pieces of machinery and equipment from various OEMs were part of the automation system.
- Roofing materials manufacturing
- Keystone project for customer; over a year of planning prior to install
- High level of complexity requiring precision alignment and install of over 30 pieces of equipment from various OEMs
- Customer sought single source partner with deep experience in precision alignment and install
Measure for layout and precision install of over 30 pieces of new automation and conveyance machinery, including Core Inserter, Shrink Wrapper, Palletizing Robotic Cell, Stretch Hooder, Conveyance, Guarding and Compressed Air Piping.
- Demo and remove select existing equipment
- Uncrate and stage 30+ pieces of new automation and conveyance machinery
- Precision measurement for layout with conventional optics equipment
- Install all machinery per drawings
- Timeline of 12 days with crew of 9 millwrights
Specialized equipment used:
- Optical set
- Two 19,000 lb forklifts
- Machinery moving skates
- Toe jacks
Lovegreen team provided all services to act as the sole partner on this project, including one partner to perform process piping. Project management collaborated with customer to address and solve tolerance concerns and strict timeline requirements.
- Project finished three (3) days ahead of plan due to effective planning and optimal crew staffing. Crew of 9 millwrights split into two teams, one starting at each end of the line, ensured balanced progression of work scope towards center of layout.
- Inclusion of Lovegreen on uncrating and staging process laid a foundation for excellent outcome by providing the crew an opportunity to see all equipment pieces early, understand layout, and plan for a efficienct install sequence.
- Satisfied customer with timeline on track for commissioning of system.